Tavares could see weekend hard freeze. Remember the 5 P's of cold weather preparedness
Protect people, pets, pipes, plants and practice weather safety.
Here are 5 tips to help prevent frozen pipes:
- The priority before a freeze warning should be to make sure your pipes are insulated.
- During the freeze period, open a faucet to let it trickle.
- Repair any clogged drains.
- Keep areas heated.
- Drain your pipes to remove any excess water.
If you have a backflow assembly on your water service line, it, too, may freeze with very cold temperatures. Insulate the assembly properly by wrapping and covering the exposed pipe. Do not cover the bottom relief opening on the underside at the middle of the apparatus to avoid creating other flooding problems.
Additionally, homeowners with pools should take preventative freeze actions to keep pool equipment and pipes from freezing. This may include running your pool system all night or other methods recommended by your pool maintenance supplier.
Commercial water customers should also wrap (insulate) fire lines outside of their buildings. Disconnect any outside water hoses from spigots, as water trapped inside can freeze and crack the hose.
The Fire Department advises residents exercise caution when using supplemental heating units. Make sure all combustible materials, such as drapes or chairs, are at least three feet away from any heating unit.
Most importantly update your Plumber phone number in case you need a repair after the freeze; the City only repairs on the street side of the water meter. If you experience a water line break and are not able to shut the water off yourself call the below number for assistance in shutting off your water and then call your plumber to repair the leak.
- Emergency WATER issues during regular business hours call: 352-742-6222
- Emergency SEWER issues during regular business hours call: 352-742-6462
- Emergency water/sewer issues evenings, weekends, or holidays call: 352-742-6300 (emergency service calls are routed through the Lake County Sheriff's Office dispatch services during the evenings/weekends/holiday's)