201 E. Main Street
Tavares, FL 32778
Phone: (352) 742-6213 / Fax: (352) 742-6087
- To apply for a building permit (or update contractor/subcontractor registration information), please submit your application and plans to: Permitting Email
- Permits will be issued via email, online payments for building permits and fees less than $3000 click this link Pay for my Permit
- Payment by phone please call 352.742.6400 (Option 2) (after receiving the fee sheet via e-mail)
- Submit building inspection requests to Inspection Requests Email
- To speak with a Permit Technician or to leave a message for permitting please call 352.742.6213
To look-up the status of a permit or an inspection result click here: Permit Search
The Community Development Department oversees building, permitting, planning and zoning and is responsible for administering the City's growth development from initial conception through to building permitting.
The Department reviews all development applications for conformity with the City's Land Development Regulations, the Florida Building Code, the City's Comprehensive Plan and other applicable laws and regulations. The Department works in harmony with and provides support to the Planning & Zoning Board, the Lake-Sumter MPO and many other local boards and agencies. The Department provides demographic information and GIS support for all City departments.
The Community Development Department’s primary responsibilities are long-range planning, growth management, plan review and permitting. The Department assists applicants with planning and zoning applications and construction permit applications. The Department reviews the applications for conformance with the Florida Building Code and land development initiatives per Florida Statutes and Administrative Codes.